Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Blind as a Bat

I've been asked a few times recently by folks at Aviano about buying glasses here. The Optical Shop in the BX complex has a limited supply and are quite expensive. There are a lot of Ottica shops in and around Aviano. Throw a stone and you'll find one, but again, they are really expensive.

Three of the four people in my home wear glasses. {The fourth had surgery or it would be all four of us!} I don't mind paying a pretty penny for a good pair of lenses. It's worth it! After all what would we do without our eye sight. But, if I can get a good deal and comparable quality, I'm all for it.

Since we've been here, we've been ordering our glasses from Zenni Optical. They have a huge selection! And amazingly low prices.

I was worried about ordering online at first for the obvious reason that I can't try on the glasses. I normally spend about an hour at an eyeglass shop trying on dozens of pairs. Then I go home and think for another several hours before actually ordering. Well you can "try on" the glasses on the site by uploading your picture, lining up your pupils with the guidelines, and then choosing a pair to try on. You can even pull up a few pictures at a time to have a side-by-side comparison.

Nooo, it's not quite the same. There's no way to know if they'll pinch your nose or feel funny on your ears. But I have to tell you, we've ordered 8 pairs now from the site and the "try on" feature was pretty darn accurate. I'll admit that I've gotten 2 flops but they were on the iffy side to begin with. At no more than $20 a pair, it's not been a big loss. Honestly the pair that I like the most were $6.95. What!?! I've paid $300+ on glasses before.

$6, freakin', 95!

One of the "bad" pairs was because I clearly didn't look closely enough at the pictures. What I thought were sort of floral or maybe kind of a tribal-ish design, turned out to be more Luchador-like in person. Allora!


I'll probably wear them anyway.

Maybe to the next Mexican wrestling match that I attend.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent site!!! But - how do I get lenses? :( From the same site for $7!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tessa! The lenses are included in the prices that you see for your frame choice. If it's $12.95, then it's $12.95. You can choose to get additional coatings and what-not, those are additional. If you just get the basic lenses that they provide, they are light and comfortable. Even with the extra coatings or lighter lenses, I've never had them add up to very much.

    One extra step that you will probably have to take is to get your PD-pupillary distance-if it's not on your prescription already {most of the time it's not}. You can either measure it yourself {they have instructions on the site} or go to the Optometrist office at the base clinic and ask them to do it. You do not need an appt and it takes about 10 seconds. They measure across the bridge of your nose and tell you. They seem to be used to people coming in asking for it and are really more than happy to do it.

    Hope this help!

    ReplyDelete