Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hang in There!

If you're coming from the U.S. and haven't left yet, rush out RIGHT NOW and stock up on as many of these as you can get your mitts on!

These will become your best friends when you start to decorate your Italian abode. Why? Because the walls are made from a cement-like material and, short of drilling, these are the easiest way to hang things.

Nails are absolutely a no-go! I bent several in the beginning. Worse than bending them though....they chip away at the wall material with each swing of the hammer and make some nasty looking holes. Holes that are quite likely to be expensive when we leave! {Oops!}

The velcro picture hangers from 3M have been a real life saver! They really can hold a lot of weight and have held up for a full year now.

The BX carries a limited variety of hooks, but I have not seen any of the velcro picture hanging strips there. I haven't seen either at local stores. So stock up before you come!


The 3M hooks even withstand the weather! This puppy has been on my exterior door for a full year now. 

I have had limited success with these. You wet the cloth portion at the top which has an adhesive and press it to the wall. After the adhesive has dried, hang your item. Simple enough. I have used these for a few small frames, but never anything that would cause devastation should it fall.

In my experience, these do tend to stick up higher than the pictures. They blend in with the the color of my walls, so for me it's not a problem. I'm sure you could paint them if that was an issue though.


I purchased these off base, I believe at a hardware store.




Adhesive picture hanger....in action! Can you even see it at the top? Blends in pretty well!


These are what you are advised to use on your walls when you get here. {Or at least we were}  Bad advice!

The idea is that you hammer those short metal pins into the wall and hang your item from the hook. The larger size ones have those metal bits and you use a small nail in the center as well.

"Ummm, didn't you just say nails are bad?" Why, yes! Yes I did!

These little buggers are a major pain in the tuchus. The troubles with these things are too numerous to list here. I have had things fall, pounded craters into my walls, and used way too much adult language trying to get these to work.

There are probably other ways to hang items on these walls, but I'll put my money on the 3M hooks every time though. So far they haven't let me down and I know that I can take them with me when I go.

In the event everything in my house should fall immediately upon posting this though, I will pop back in with a different review I'm sure!



{The good folks at 3M don't even know I exist. These are solely my opinions based on my experience with these products.}


3 comments:

  1. I wish I knew this before we came! Nails are defiantly a no go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right, Sam! I'm hoping to save other from the frustration. haha It's a worthy cause, somebody has to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or if you have expensive/heavy frames go out and buy a cheap cordless hammer drill to pre-drill holes might want to buy before you leave the US, you’ll have a convertor to charge battery anyways... Then your good to go and will last much longer, plus you don't have to worry about filling in the holes as you already paid for the paint and wall repairs before you moved in (paint fee).

    ReplyDelete