Friday, August 19, 2011

You're Not in Iowa Anymore

What is the most common sight when you leave the gates of Aviano AB?

It's got to be this, right? Gorgeous vineyards with budding grapes just waiting to be turned into your favorite Pinot or Cabernet or whatever you like flowing in your glass. I mean you're in Italy. Gotta be vineyards.


Well, don't be surprised if, instead of feeling like you've gotten off the plane in the Mediterranean, you feel like you're in the Midwest. This is what you are more likely to see.

CORN! CORN! CORN!

It's everywhere! I genuinely felt like we were driving through Iowa again when we got here last year. It was quite a shocker! Having been to the Mediterranean in the past, this is not what I expected nor is it what I saw in my previous travels. Northern Italy may not be quite what you have in mind when you think of Italy.

But look just beyond that corn.

Look at those beautiful mountains. Those are everywhere too!

And there are lovely vineyards....just not as many as I imagined.

1 comment:

  1. I sure rather be in Aviano than Iowa!!!.....at least the beach is only an hour away and the mountains.....well right on it!! :)))

    ReplyDelete