Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, but mostly Recycle

I think we've all heard stories about someone being fined 100's of Euro for putting recyclables in their garbage. Or garbage men ripping open bags and leaving everything because things weren't disposed of properly.

I imagine a lot of those are "tall tales", but there are very strict guidelines regarding recycling and waste disposal in Italy. Each town has its own set of rules, but generally they are similar.

This link has a list of most towns that Americans live in and links to the local waste disposal rules. Some of these links are in English, some are not. So it may take a little digging to find out the specifics for your town. It's certainly worth your effort though. Fines can reach up to 600Euro and beyond. Roveredo's fines range from 25Euro to 620Euro. Yikes!

Do I know anyone who's ever been fined? No, I don't.

I am in Maniago, and they seem pretty lax here. If I've run out of yellow garbage sacks for our household garbage and set out white ones, they still take them. Though I try very hard to follow the rules, I know occasionally a yogurt cup or water bottle probably makes its way to the garbage instead of the recycling. And there may be things that I think I'm doing right, but I'm not.

Mostly, I try to get it right because we do live next to Italians and I don't want them to think that I am disrespectful of their laws or of them. I have seen Italians cleaning up after American garbage that was left incorrectly, and they did not look to happy about it. Can you blame them?

I've cleaned up garbage after other Americans because I didn't want them to think it was us. And you know we all get lumped together. I wasn't too happy about it either. Can you blame me?

So, at least try to get it right. Ask an Italian neighbor if you're not sure. I'm sure that they'd be willing to help.

1 comment:

  1. This is the ONE thing I LOATHE about living here. I can deal with the crazy drivers, stores being closed for a 3 hour lunch, ect., but after 2 years of living here I still hate dealing with their garbage rules!

    ReplyDelete